Spring has arrived, For many Australians, this is the time to clean our homes of dust and cobwebs completely, de-clutter our closets, work on our gardens, and let a breath of fresh spring air into our houses.
But what about freshening up our smiles for spring?
Spring is an ideal time for a dental cleaning and to examine your at-home dental habits to establish a regular routine of good oral care to maintain healthy teeth and gums.
There are things you can do at home, on your own, and things you can do with True Dental Care Preston to ensure that you ‘spring’ into the season with a healthy, stunning smile. Let’s take a look at some of your springtime dental options.
Your part in a dental spring cleaning
Replace your toothbrush! Evidence shows that going back to the ancient Egyptians (3000 B.C), we’ve known about the importance of the toothbrush. Egyptians frayed and chewed the ends of twigs to help clean their teeth.
But you shouldn’t let your personal toothbrush get quite that old. Instead, you should change it about every three months (or sooner, if the bristles are obviously dingy, frayed, or you have been sick). This rule applies to manual and electric toothbrushes.
Upgrade your toothbrush. Speaking of toothbrushes, this spring may be a good time to consider upgrading to an electric model.
Electric toothbrushes offer more cleaning power than manual ones and remove debris from your teeth more effectively and with less effort (between 10 and 20 per cent, depending on what is being removed).
Electric toothbrushes are particularly useful for people whose hands are not as flexible or mobile as they once were (e.g. arthritis suffers). These brushes also include handy features such as built-in timers to ensure brushing time is optimised.
Diversify your flossing game! Do you find flossing every day to be a bit dull? If so, you may be more likely to stick with it if you spice the process up up a little!
One change might be to change your flossing game by choosing:
- Flavoured floss: Waxed floss is the most common kind, and it comes in a range of flavours (even unusual flavours, like bacon!).
- Floss picks: Floss picks are a good option if it’s difficult or painful to open your mouth wide enough to use traditional flossing methods.
- Dental tape: Dental tape is a thin “ribbon” of floss that easily slides between teeth.
Small changes like this can make newer, better habits easier to stick to.
Don’t forget your dental appliances and cases. If you wear mouthguards, dentures, retainers, Invisalign, or other removable dental appliances, be sure to brush them regularly. Every once in a while a soak in a gentle cleansing solution is also good. And don’t also forget to wash any carrying or storage cases you put them in – these can become repositories for bacteria and gunk.
At True Dental Care Preston, our preventative dentistry services such as professional cleaning keep your teeth plaque-free and healthy.
Regular professional cleaning has many benefits:
- Saves your teeth. Keeping tabs on your oral health can protect your teeth by catching potential problems early.
- Saves money. Regular examinations are far cheaper than dental treatment done later for damage that has already occurred.
- Whiter teeth, brighter smile. Scale and clean removes stains on your teeth, revealing their natural glow.
- Fresher breath. With your teeth free from tartar, you’ll have fresher breath.
- Oral cancer screening. Oral cancer is hugely destructive. Your dentist can detect it through a visual exam and sometimes through dental x-rays. Oral cancer can be survived if detected and treated early.
Whiten that smile! Everyone knows that a mouth full of whiter teeth comes with immediate benefits. A brighter more attractive smile lets you talk, eat, and laugh naturally. Another common reason for tooth-whitening is how it improves your personal life – love, social, and work lives have all been shown to be enhanced with whiter teeth. At True Dental Care Preston, we offer Zoom Whitening, a teeth whitening option which offers fantastic results in less than an hour.
True Dental Care Preston for your Dental Health
The foundation of True Dental Care Preston is a passion for healthy beautiful smiles. Our team is composed of Australian trained dentists, nurses, and a prosthetist. We offer general dentistry, implants and cosmetic dentistry, and emergency services, all in our advanced facility with a highly-trained staff and cutting-edge technology and.
You can find us near the corner of Donovan St and Bell St, a convenient 25 meters from the Bell Train Station! Our convenient offices are on the ground floor.
True Dental Care Preston offers an extensive range of treatment options from pain management to implants and Invisalign.
Call (03) 9131 5952 or visit us at 358 Bell St in Preston.